14 CEUs for Massage Therapists though the NCBTMB (Approved Provider: Joy Dua)*
16 CEUs for NJ Chiropractors through the NJ Board of Chiropractic Examiners
Course Hours: 9:00am-5:00pm each day
Tuition: $399. Special offer: $25 off through 3/19/19! Tuition includes doll which is needed for class and can be used for demo to clients/patients/parents in your practice.
Students should bring a towel, mat or pillow to sit on for floorwork.
The Infant Massage Therapy and Technique Course is designed specifically for professionals who want to learn current, evidence-based massage strokes for babies 0-12 months of age. In this continuing education class, students will learn safe and appropriate application of massage needed to work hands-on with infants. In-depth information covered includes infant anatomy, contraindications, history & benefits, communication and development. Strokes and techniques are illustrated along with guided application and demonstration. Comprehensive SOAP notes, health history forms, medical releases and feedback forms are provided and explained.
What makes this Infant Massage course different from others?
- This is the only HANDS-ON infant massage class in NJ that allows students to work directly on infants after completing the course (not just to teach parents how to do so). You will be able to do both upon completion.
- It is the only class that is taught to licensed professionals, not just the general public.
- Your tuition includes a 19-20″ Soft Body Doll for use during and after the class (great for demos).
Expand your practice while improving the lives of infants through massage techniques
- Network with a modern group of healthcare professionals
- Join a growing pediatric healthcare field
- Learn how to collaborate with infant physical & occupational therapists
- Treat babies that suffer from common pediatric ailments
- Set a healthy foundation for pediatric and adult clients
- Opportunity to teach families infant massage while promoting healthy child/parent bonding
The student will become an Infant Massage Instructor AND an Infant Massage Therapist. This is the ONLY course offered in NJ to work hands-on with infants as a Massage Therapist.
Upon completion, working opportunities include:
-Offer Home Visits and Group Lessons
-Teach Infant Massage and Therapy in a:
- Chiropractic Office
- Yoga Studio
- Infant Development Center
- Doulas and Lactation Consultants
- Non-profit organizations who specialize in Infant Therapy Services
-Use in an individual practice
-Hold workshops on the importance of touch
It does not:
- Allow the practitioner to use deep pressure or inappropriate forms of bodywork on an infant
- Qualify the class participant to certify or teach infant massage continuing education
- Provide the practitioner qualifications to provide infant massage instruction for babies with advanced special healthcare needs
In this class, students will learn:
1. Infant Massage History and Definition
2. Physical, Social and Emotional Benefits of Infant Massage
3. Affect of Hormones: Cortisol, Oxytocin and Prolactin
History, Definition and Process of Skin‐to-Skin Contact
4. Common Knowledge and use of Safe Infant Massage Oil
The History, Definition and Process of Skin‐to‐Skin Contact
5. Recognize Infant Anatomy: Skeletal, Soft tissue, Skull of a Newborn, Hypermobility, Ossification and Body Posture
6.Normal Infant Development ages 0-‐12 Months
7. Infant Behavior, Cues, Reflexes and Behavioral States ages 0‐12 Months
8. The Contraindications and Precautions of Infant Massage
9. Recognition of Normal Infant Skin Conditions and Infant Endangerment Sites
10. Knowledge of Infant Massage Protocol/Guidelines including Five Basic Strokes
11. Infant Leg and Feet Massage Strokes
12. Infant Arm and Hand Massage Strokes
13. Infant Stomach, Back and Face Massage Strokes
14. Use of Infant Massage Session and Treatment Forms
About the Instructor: Joy Dua, LMT, CIMT, CPMT, IMT – Owner, PediaTouch
Joy Dua is a licensed massage therapist, certified pediatric massage therapist and a professional massage instructor with the Steiner Education Group. Internationally certified in infant massage, Joy has worked extensively for many years with a variety of babies ranging from normal development to medically complex infants in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU).
As an author and founder of Pedia Touch, Joy is committed to natural infant development and wellness. She develops educational programs and trainings for professionals. Her unique and modern programs benefit massage therapists, parents, caregivers and child care professionals. Her certification in baby yoga adds value to her programs, elevating the level of learning.
Her work includes mentorship and collaboration with leaders in the industry including clinical research at the Miami Touch Research Institute with Dr. Tiffany Field and pediatric massage certifications with Master Tina Allen of Liddle Kidz Foundation. Joy has also trained in Kangaroo Care’s Skin-to-Skin Contact with Dr. Nils Bergman of South Africa.
*Not approved for NYS Massage Therapy and Bodywork