Traumatic Brain Injury and Concussion – 6 Hour Course
This course is designed for health care practitioners to guide them when caring for those suffering from a mild traumatic brain injury (MTBI)/concussion. The curriculum is specifically designed to give an overview of recognizing the signs and symptoms associated with MTBI and concussion, the risk factors involved, treatment for their condition and the prevention of future occurrences.
6 CEUs for Chiropractors and Massage Therapists*
This course will include:
- Define MTBI/Concussion Statistics and Causes
- Identify the Signs and Symptoms associated with MTBI/concussion
- Types and Severity levels of MTBI/concussion
- The Physiology of the what Happens to the Brain During a Concussion?
- Risk Factors
- Examination of The TBI Patient
- Understanding the Glasgow Coma Scale
- Assessing and Understanding the Dizzy/Vertigo/Disequilibrium Patient
- Cerebellar Function Testing
- Assessing the Role of the Inner Ear in Balance Disturbances
- Rehabilitation Treatments for Balance/Dizziness and Proprioception Sensory Input
- Understanding the roles healthcare professionals can play
- ICD Coding
- CPT Coding for Additional Levels of Treatment
- MRI vs CT Scan
- EEG Testing
- VNG Testing
- Computerized Dynamic Posturography (CDP)
- When to Seek Medical Attention
- Prognosis/Long Term Complications of MTBI/Concussion
- Screening and Baseline Exams for Athletes
- Public Awareness and Prevention of the MTBI/Concussion Patient
About the Instructor: Dr. David G. Harris, MD, DC, DAAPM, DIACN, is the owner and operator of The Spine Institute of New Jersey. In practice for over 20 years, he is an expert in neurology, vestibular rehabilitation and pain management.
* Approved for NJ chiropractors-The Institute for Continuing Education is an Approved Provider/Sponsor with the NJ Board of Chiropractic Examiners. Also approved for chiropractors in states that recognized PACE; The Institute is recognized by the PACE Program of the Federation of Chiropractic Licensing Boards. For massage therapists, this course is approved through the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB) for all states but New York.