EARN 2 Professional Development Pre-Approved Credits:
Attend this class LIVE at our School or by LIVE WEBINAR at your Location
We are approved provider by:
- NJ Board of Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors
- New York Board of Professional Engineers , Sponsor # 201 beginning 2/1/2021 to 1/31/2024
- Florida Board of Professional Engineers: Laws and Rules and Ethics, Provider number 0007543 (Ethics) 0010489
- Florida Board of Professional Engineers: CE provider Provider number 0007543
- Maryland Board for Professional Engineers
The Underpinning of Distressed Foundation
This presentation describes the basic concept of the underpinning of distressed foundations. It deals with the temporary and permanent support to existing foundations in order to provide additional depth or to increase the soil’s bearing capacity. The intent is to support the structure without failure and without settlement that would be detrimental to its integrity or function. Many types of foundation underpinning are reviewed and methods of analysis are presented under a variety of soil and foundation conditions. Construction processes are also referenced based on specific projects. The Underpinning of Foundations deals with the temporary and permanent support to existing foundations in order to provide additional depth or to increase the soil’s bearing capacity. Underpinning is a repair process that strengthens foundations which have been weakened by a variety of factors. In the process of underpinning, the area underneath the load of the foundation is repaired, made strong or reinforced. Underpinning comes in many types and suits different kinds of repair projects. In order to make the right choice, it is necessary to understand the structure of the whole foundation, the supports used and the factors that cause the foundation to crack or get damaged.
The main highlights of this presentation are
What is Distressed foundation of structure?
- What is underpinning of distressed foundation and Why it is needed?
- Basic guidelines for underpinning of distressed foundation
- Underpinning of foundation common methods
- Common problems encountered in underpinning of foundation:
- Benefits of underpinning system [co.in. (2019)]
- Underpinning to repair faulty foundations:
- Underpinning Methods, Procedure and Applications in Foundation Strengthening
- Precautions to be taken in underpinning of foundation:
- Safety issues of underpinning of foundation:
DATE: Wedneday April 28, 2021
Time: 7:00pm to 9:00pm
2 CEU= Professional Credits
Mr. Avinash Prasad is a Licensed Professional Engineer and Land Surveyor with more than 25 years of civil engineering and project management experience. As a registered professional engineer and land surveyor (NJ, NY, CT, MA, RI), he specializes in bridge asset management and structural evaluation of bridges, particularly suspension bridges. He is currently researching bridge asset management for his doctoral dissertation at New York University. He has received dual MS degrees in Civil Engineering and Engineering Management from NJIT and a BS degree in Civil Engineering from India. He has more than 1000 hours of continuing professional education as instructor/participating professional. He is a NJ state certified emergency medical technician (EMT), emergency medical responder (EMR), and firefighter (FF). He is also a certified CPR, AED administer. He is a fellow of American Society of Civil Engineers and an active member of several professional organizations such as: AREMA, PMI, AISC, NYSAPLS, IPWE, IRT and IIBE. The ASCE, Railway Age and Railway Track & Structure conference proceedings has accepted many of his technical papers for presentation and/or publication.