This live webinar is an adaptation of the much longer course that we have offered on this topic. It is approved for 3 CEUs for NJ chiropractors and NJ massage therapists.*
Live webinars are interactive. You will be able to ask questions and communicate in real time with the instructor. They are not considered distance learning. Anyone registered for this class will receive instructions by email regarding how to sign in to the live webinar. It is recommended for this class that you have speakers, a microphone and webcam. Most laptops, tablets and smartphones will have these functions.
Objectives: This program will allow the participants to assess and describe common sports injuries that occur in the physically active population. They will be able to identify and observe basic massage techniques for various sports injuries which are utilized in injury rehabilitation protocols.
Upon successful completion of this class, the student should be able to:
- Identify common nomenclature related to sports injuries
- Identify and understand sports injuries to the head, back/spine, thorax, abdomen, upper extremity and lower extremity.
- Understand and observe common sports injury massage treatment techniques
Method of Instruction: Lecture and Demonstration
- Review injury nomenclature
- Identify and analyze sports injuries to the head
- Identify and analyze sports injuries to the back/spine
- Identify and analyze sports injuries to the thorax and abdomen
- Identify and analyze sports injuries to the upper extremity
- Identify and analyze sports injuries to the lower extremity
- Describe sports injury massage techniques
- Discuss purpose of sports injury massage techniques
- Identify and evaluate indications of massage
- Identify and evaluate contraindications of massage
- Analyze appropriate massage application techniques
- Prepare and analyze a massage treatment session
- Observe massage techniques demonstration
- Question and answer
About the Instructor:
Linda Gazzillo Diaz, Ed.D., ATC., LMT, is a Professor in the Department of Kinesiology at William Paterson University. She has an extensive background in Athletic Education and Training as well as Massage Therapy.
* This course is approved for NJ chiropractors because The Institute for Continuing Education is a Pre-Approved Provider/Sponsor with the NJ Board of Chiropractic Examiners. This course is approved for NJ massage therapists under Section 13:37-4.2(a) (i)(xiii) of the New Jersey Board of Massage and Bodywork Therapy regulations.