This is a live hands-on course taught at The Institute for Continuing Education. Two days, 16 CEUs, for Chiropractors only.
Early Bird Special: Save $20 through August 2.
Examination and Treatment of the Lower Extremity – Mennell/Travell Approaches to Joint Dysfunction and Trigger Points
At the conclusion of this seminar/workshop, the participants will appreciate and accept the responsibility for making a structural diagnosis/assessment of the musculoskeletal system of the lower quarter. The participants will be able to:
- Differentiate which lower extremity joint complex is affected by joint dysfunction as per Dr. John Mennell’s model.
- Differentiate which muscles are affected by myofascial trigger points as Dr. Janet G. Travell’s Model for the upper extremity.
- Identify as to whether their choice of treatment, they are promoting healing as opposed to the promotion of the restoration of function which can only be undertaken when healing has taken place.
- Demonstrate and explain the useful properties of any physical therapy technique they elect to use in their treatment program.
- Identify the principles which guide them in their choice of said treatment, especially when treating the patient during the healing phase.
- Design a treatment program based on a realistic diagnosis.
- Teach their patients how to self manage the condition with an appropriate home program.
- Identify the concepts of orthopedic medicine in soft tissue treatment and the diagnosis of referred pain from the joints as well as associated musculature.
- Appreciate the integrated approach to evaluation and treatment and the skills learned will be immediately utilized in the clinical setting.
- Demonstrate all the techniques taught and pass a practical and written test given at the conclusion of the seminar.
- Identify the prognosis for the patient and give measurable time frames for their outcome.
Evidence based outcomes will be stressed as it is both beneficial to the patient’s well being but also cost effective for the patient.
8:00-10:00am Overview of the musculoskeletal system, structural examination of the system concept of mechanical pain from synovial joints. Clinical importance of the case history. Joint play-joint dysfunction-joint manipulation. Demonstration: Practice. Concepts of “Acute” and “Chronic” in patient analysis. Recognition of “healing” and “healed”. Rules for manipulative examining techniques. Three “NEVERS”.
10:15am-12:00pm Workshop: Examining Mobilization Techniques of the Hip Joint Complex
1:00-2:00pm Assessment and Treatment of Illiotibial Band Insufficiency
2:15-3:30pm Workshop: Examining Mobilization Techniques of the Knee Joint Complex
3:30-5:00pm Workshop: Examining Mobilization Techniques of the Foot/Ankle Complex
7:30-8:00am Sign in
8:00-10:00am Workshop: Joints of the Foot/Ankle Complex Continued
10:15am-12:00pm Clinical Overview of Myofascial Trigger Points Lower Quarter
1:00-2:00pm Alternate Treatment Techniques for Treating Myofascial Trigger Points
2:00-3:30pm Myofascial Trigger Points of the Lower Quarter Workshop Palpation Assessment and Practice Utilizing the Spray and Stretch Technique and Other Alternative Techniques. Review of All Mobilization Techniques of the Lower Quarter.
3:30-4:30pm Rehabilitation Exercises i.e. Strength, Stabilization and Flexibility for the Lower Quarter
4:30-5:00pm Practical/written Examination
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR: Robert Ruffalo, PT, DC, CCSP
Robert Ruffalo, PT, DC, CCSP, is Founder and President of CESI Continuing Education Seminars Incorporated, and Owner/Director of A T.E.A.M. Approach Physical Therapy Center in Bloomfield, NJ, which he established in 1990.
Dr. Ruffalo is a physical therapist (PT), doctor of chiropractic (DC), certified chiropractic sports physician (CCSP), and is also a certified golf fitness instructor/medical professional, Level 3 by the Titleist Performance Institute (TPI CGFI-MP3), and a TPI Junior Level 2 Coach (JR2). At A T.E.A.M. Approach Physical Therapy Center, he brings together his diverse expertise, vast experience, and personal interests to deliver a unique multi-disciplinary health care practice. Dr. Ruffalo specializes in manual therapy of the cervical spine and extremities and is trained in a variety of treatment approaches and techniques.
In addition to his work as a physical therapist and chiropractor (one of only few dual licensed practitioners in NJ), Dr. Ruffalo has a passion for educating his peers by providing continuing education courses to physical therapists, chiropractors, physical therapy assistants, athletic trainers and insurance industry professionals.
Many of the seminars are based on the advanced work of two medical pioneers: the late Dr. John Mennell, an orthopedist and founder of the joint dysfunction model for diagnosis and treatment, and the late Dr. Janet Travell, who founded the trigger point (myofascial pain) model of diagnosis and treatment. Dr. Ruffalo was fortunate to have lectured and taught with these practitioners and researchers.